1. Roxy Marj Harvest Print Envelope Clutch 2. Tamsin Classic Pump 3. John Robshaw Block Print Drawing 66 4. Madewell Geometry Tee 5. Lavender Sachets 6. Southwestern Spring Canvas Sneakers 7. Bungalow Derby Pillow 8. Embroidered Chinos
In honor of Black History Month I will be sharing a few posts about African Americans who's stories and talents have inspired me. Like, Jean-Michel Basquiat, who's work continues to inform and enlighten us; especially in the realms of fashion, design, and other visual arts.
I always enjoy having a few items around me to commemorate the legacy of people who have played an important role in history. Whether it's something to wear, watch, read or hang, it's good to be reminded of their wonderful contributions to our story and culture.
clockwise, Basquiat by Mark Mayer; Reebok Basquiat I Am Tee; Jean Michel Basquiat: Radiant Child; Basquiat giclee print by Alison Black; Jean-Michel Basquiat x Reebok NPC Clean; BASS-QUIAT Bowtie; Basquiat Dragon Candle.
The idea of a space completely covered in layered pattern mixes makes me smile. Here are few things I'm looking to use to make it happen in my home.
clockwise, The Odalisque by Henri Matisse, a print with textile inspirations (Did you know Matisse worked at a textile mill close to his home in his early years?); Handcrafted ottomans from The Tailored Nest; fab book for a coffee table John Robshaw Prints; West Elm Bazaar Dhurrie; Embroidered Mizbah Pillow; Peasant Kantha Quilt; Pink Velvet Tropical Bird Print Pouf, I have one of these and I love it; and another perfect coffee table book for a patterned space Yayoi Kusama.
I am completely obsessed with metallic, especially gold and pewter. I've been looking at different foiling processes to see how I might incorporate the technique in my own projects; I love how the foiling adds a little something special to anything, like the items you see above.
clockwise: Gold Kiss Print, Handprinted Lumbar Pillow (I need), Matthew Williamson Chevron Gold-tone Clutch, Gold Foil Pocket Notebooks, Metallic Stag Wallpaper, Kate Spade Lollipop Too Shoe, Half United Bullet Earrings (I love these!!), Be Brave Print, and Rebecca Minkoff Marsha Sandals (I really want these for summer).
1. Seagrass Tote - perfect for storing magazines or handbags (it comes in a lovely red color-way as well).
2. Scandinavian Tree Oven Mitt - keeping you hands safe and cute while you cook.
3. Lemon Scented J.R. Watkins Hand Soap - loving this natural earth-friendly hand soap. The nicely designed vintage label makes it nice enough to display as is in your bathroom.
4. Patch Pouf Ottoman - made of old saris and gently used textiles (I so want this!!).
5. Sara Lee Parker Textiles - this collection of printed fabric works well for projects like putting together your own lavender sachets or tea towels.
6. Clementine Zest Hand Lotion - this is perfect to keep in the kitchen.
7. The Harvest Printed Cotton Dhurrie - I absolutely love this little rug. Works perfectly in a guest bath.
8. Succulent Garden - you can create your own garden using little succulents purchased at your local garden store or you can purchase one already made like above. I think these little plants add character and whimsy to any window sill or cozy corner.
2. Mara Mi Memo Pad. A cute way to keep your to-do lists and notes in order.
3. Kid Made Modern Tape Set. These solid and printed tape sets are too fun! Perfect for crafting, wrapping gifts, or sending packages. Seeing these makes me want to design tape.
4. By Way of Brooklyn. This BEAUTIFUL new blog features fab Brooklynites as they share their personal stories.
7. Yuna. I posted about this singer/songwriter a few weeks back, but lately I can't stop playing her beautiful self-titled album. Have you checked it out yet?
What about you? What are you liking right now?
1. Kid Made Modern Colored Pencils. This is a concept I sooooo wish I came up with. As parents and the tastes of their children become more sophisticated they are looking for products that appeal to their new sensibilities. So designer Todd Oldham brilliantly created a collection of modern-styled art supplies and creative kits for kids called Kid Made Modern (based off the a book he wrote of the same name). Everything I've seen in the collection looks fun, vibrant, and cool. Because I am a sucker for color and wonderfully designed things I had to buy the canister of 36 colored pencils. I definitely don't need another set of colored pencils but when I saw these at Target I had to have them.
2. Kate Spade Gold Coast Ginnie. I want this crossbody bag!
4. The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp. During a convo about creativity with my homegirl Jamala, she suggested I read this guide to creating a creative routine that will help one become more productive and inspired. I just started but love what I'm learning so far.
5. Softstripe Scarf. Along with bangles I am obsessed with scarves. This one with neon orange stripes looks great with a contrasting striped tee and jeans.
6. Navala Necklace. Tried this on at Anthropologie and fell in love with all the colors and details.
1. Classic silhouette dress with a bold tropical inspired print. This dress is so fly with a neon yellow clutch.
3. Fun Sunglasses in bright colors. The great things about these sunglasses from American Eagle are that they come in a range of candy colors, they are foldable, and come at a price that allows you to buy a few for summer.
5. To-Do Sticky Pad. I love making lists. These little to-do pads come in handy for short lists and for sticking them in a journal or a notebook.
6. Bright nail polish. Revlon has their version of this fun neon color, called Zealous. I like how the color becomes an accessory to an outfit.
1. Neon Canvas Clutch - I've been wanting a simple neon clutch for a while. I saw this one on sale at Target but it had an ugly patent leather clutch attached to it. Since it was on sale I figured I could remove the green clutch and use the neon portion folded over. It totally worked.
2. The Polka-Dot Sidewalk Skimmer - Such a cute shoe for the season. Perfect with jeans or fun dresses.
3. Toothpick jean in garment-dyed twill - I've been wanting a pair of jeans in this color, especially since they went on sale, but they now don't have my size :(.
4. Printed Bandeau - Perfect to wear under tanks with huge armholes or deep collars.
5. Neon Pink Pyramid Studs - I bought some neon pink studs at a pop-up shop last month and I can't stop wearing them. They are my new summer staple. The ones above are a little different (mine are pyramids from a bird's view), but still super fun.
6. Printed Fringe Scarf - The image here doesn't do the colors any justice. The pinks in this scarf are vibrant and fun. Great to wear with a jean jacket.
What are some things you are liking right now? Feel free to share links, I'd love to see.
Pretty new journals from Rifle Paper Co.
Super cute multi-colored fedora made of paper.
Sandals I would love for the summer, in both colors.
Striped cotton tees from Madewell both in navy blue and hot pink. Love wearing it with red pants or jeans.
A few items I'm totally diggin' right now.
1. International Review of African American Art (IRAAA)
2. Skinny Jeans in turquoise. I have some orange flats I would love to wear with this jeans.
3. Vintage Stamps. Ever since I discovered my mom's collection of vintage Brazilian stamps I've been enamored with the form of this ephemera. So I went a bought these wonderful package of stamps from Anthropologie.
4. Hot Pink Sharpie. Perfect (and fun) for highlighting important dates in my calendar.
5. The Mini Mailbag. I'm looking for cute yet functional bag to rock on some trips to come and I've been eying this one.
6. Boots Expert Sensitive Moisture Boost Body Cream. I'm all about drugstore make-up and beauty products lately and recently discovered this body cream from Boots. It's a rich cream that's not greasy or crazy expensive. Love!
2. Snow-dot Pullover - a cozy little number for casual afternoons.
3. Bow-tie Suede shoes - these super stylish shoes were a great find at Gap.
4. Flirt Nail Color - so loving this new pastel-ish color from Revlon.
5. Twinkle by Wenlan Looped Fleece Vest - one of my favorite finds of the season, a super cozy vest in cream — and I was able to get it for 90% off! (Not the price posted after the jump.)
6. Indego Africa Wrap-Skirt - I need this for spring!
7. Prunes - right now these are my favorite sweet-tooth snack, and they're good for you. (I prefer the ones from Whole Foods or MOM's). I keep a bag by my computer and crack the bag open whenever I have a craving.